Saturday, December 20, 2014

London: Porters Restaurant Covent Garden London closing

One of our favorite restaurants in London for 25 years has been Porters in Henrietta Street. This is just off Covent Garden making it the perfect place to go before the theater or as we did on our last visit, for lunch. 


Porters was opened by the Earl of Bradford in 1979 and will close it doors on January 19, 2015. Porters is a victim of the high prices that landlords in London charge. The  prices at Porters have always been reasonable and their food quintessential English. I have always loved their pies and their puddings. 
Steak, Guinness and Mushroom Pie


I am very sad that I won't be back in London for one last meal. I decided to share our last visit, in  January 2013, with my fellow travelers and if you are going to be in London early in January, I suggest you stop in for a taste of authentic English cuisine in a relaxed atmosphere, before it is too late.  To me, it is the end of an era, another institution is passing away. 
Lamb and Apricot Pie


No comments:

Post a Comment