Saturday, March 21, 2015

The National Museum of Ireland-Archeology

This is one museum that I visited on all of my vacations to Dublin. The pull of the history of the Emerald Isle gets me every time. 

On our last visit, our friend wanted to go to the National Gallery of Ireland. I have been there before and art is one thing that I can see once and honestly,  that is enough. We both got out of the cab at the same place and he went one way and Al and I the other and then we met him at the Gallery for tea. 
One of the treasures of the museum is the Tara Brooch. It is a very pretty piece that was discovered more than 150 years ago and dates to the 8th century A.D.
The treasures date far into the past, there are artifacts from the Mesolithic and Paleolithic periods. You can spend a lot of time or a little, depending on your interests.

Another thing that I particularly remember is the Cross of Cong. It dates from the 12th century and was created to hold a piece of the true cross. 
I love this museum and it has changed a lot since my earlier visits. It is a lot prettier and sleeker now than it was 20 years ago. It is just one of the four museums that are part of the National Museum of Ireland.

No comments:

Post a Comment