Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Why I travel

You may have noticed I have changed the title of my blog slightly. The reason I changed it is that honestly, it was too long. It made it hard to tweet it and Google no doubt was cutting it short anyway so I decided to get to the heart of the matter. Travel for me has always been an adventure. 

The first trip I remember is going to Canada when I was 4 years old. I was very sick right before we left so I was feeling quite droopy at least in the beginning of the trip. I did perk up later on. My uncle Henri drove my mother, my brother Alan and me to Montreal to visit my Uncle Alcide and Aunt Janine and then to Cap St. Ignace to stay with Aunt Madelaine. 

My love of adventure and travel was born on this trip in 1954 and has never waned. 

Now you may say, I have small children or I can't afford to travel. I say nonsense. Travel doesn't have to take you far from home and children are very adaptable. If you believe that they will be able to sleep in a hotel bed, they will sleep. Don't hold them back or yourself, let adventures happen. 

If a hotel is too expensive, camp. Many history sites are free. Some of the first places we took our children other than Canada were to Gettysburg, Lancaster  and Washington DC. If you live in New England, how about an overnight to Easton, Pa and the Crayola Factory. Perfect place for children. Lake George and Fort Ticonderoga are good for two nights. Kasey and I took 2 month old Jack with us on a tour of the mansions in Newport. 
Consider this my first musing. I promised that I would muse and so I will from time to time. I encourage you to develop a love of travel in your children or like me, in your grandchildren. It makes everything just a little more interesting to see it through the eyes of a child.
This is Al and Christian at Montmorency Falls

No comments:

Post a Comment