Thursday, October 15, 2015

Flash Back Thursday: London's Queens Gallery

We have visited the Queen's Gallery at Buckingham Palace many times over the years. It used to be quite a simple place with a rather high-end gift shop, my how things have changed. We went to see




This exhibition brought together over 100 works by the greatest Northern European artists of the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries. 

The exhibition, not surprisingly, was amazing. The pieces that are in the royal collection rival or exceed just about any museum in the world. 

What has however changed was the gift shop. In my humble opinion, it now rivals the one at Althrop during the time when Princess Diana's step-mother Raine Spencer had free rein and went tacky. 

There are certain items that should never have an image of HRM on them but it seems that someone has forgotten that. Knickers with a crown or initials are just over the top!! I didn't take pictures in the gift shop, I really should have, but I have to confess, I didn't buy anything and that was a first.

What I did take a picture of was the bathroom at Buckingham Palace. Quite nice, not as nice as those at Spencer House, which I thought at the time were exceptional, but still, quite nice. 

There is almost always some sort of an exhibition going on at the Queen's Gallery. Check out their website for the latest offering.  

Somethings are better left unchanged and I am afraid that this gift shop has become one of the big mistakes as far as class is concerned. A few well-chosen items make a much better impression that lots of tawdry imported items. 

No comments:

Post a Comment