Monday, February 22, 2016

Our Day at Weeki Wachee Springs State Park

I heard about the mermaid show at Weeki Wachee many years ago but have never spent a lot of time in this area of Florida. Now that we are spending the winter here, I decided it was time that we went in search of some of the attractions. I decided that Weeki Wachee would be the first place we visited. 


Our GPS took us on a route that went through several scenic small towns to get us down to Weeki Wachee, funny it took us a much quicker way home!! Go figure. 

I wasn't quite sure what to expect, I knew there was a mermaid show but that was about it. I was in for a pleasant surprise, there was a lot more to the park than just the mermaid show. 

We arrived around noon. The next mermaid show was 1:30. We hadn't had anything to eat so we went to the onsite concession and had a cheeseburger. It was quite good and well priced. The peacocks greeted us when we left the cafe, there are several and they are not shy.

The gates to the mermaid theatre open 30 minutes before the show, it is a good idea to get there early to guarantee a seat. We were among the first people to enter but chose to sit a little to the left of center. I wanted to be able to stand and maybe move around to get the pictures I wanted. 

We saw the show "Fish Tails". There is another show the "Little Mermaid".  The mermaids had pretty costumes, one set was red white and blue and they actually drank and ate while under water which is quite impressive. The show lasts about half an hour, I enjoyed it but having seen it once, it would not bring me back. 

What would bring me back would be the riverboat cruise. I loved it. It takes you down the Weeki Wachee River where you will see all sorts of fish and birds. We got a glimpse of the alligator on the island and best of all two manatee. I took lots of pictures. 

Buccaneer Bay is the water park which wasn't open when we visited. It will open again on weekends in mid-March. We also didn't have time to see the wild animal show. 

Weeki Wachee Springs State Park is well worth a visit if only to get a little taste of what Florida was like 50 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment