Thursday, March 16, 2017

Spending the day in Mount Dora, Florida

Mount Dora is located in central Florida about 45 miles southeast of where we live in Ocala. It is a charming town with some hills which makes it rather unique in this part of the world. Mount Dora also have a large and beautiful lake. We often meet here with our friends who live in the greater Orlando area, it is a lovely place to meet, shop. eat and just walk around.
We usually meet at Donnelly Park. Free parking is available in this area and this time we parked above the pavilion. Our friends were on one of the sides. A quick call and we connected. 

We ate lunch here and did some fun shopping, here are some places I enjoy.

Barrel of Books and Games

This is an adorable bookstore. I passed it on the way down to the dock at the lakefront and noticed a book entitled "My Grandmother Lives in Florida" how could I resist? I had to get a cop for Jack!! While I was in the store I saw a book by Phillipa Gregory that I also had to have. I could have spent a lot of time here, I love a good bookstore.

The Spice and Tea Exchange

This store has the most amazing spices. I could spend a fortune here and just look around sniffing for an hour. The staff encourages you to smell everything that interests you. I love salts and found one I couldn't live without as well as a spicy coating for ham and a rub for roast beef. I could have bought a lot more.

Mount Dora Gold Exchange

I loved this store and I was able to find just the perfect gold pinkie ring at a price that I felt was a fair price. It is a small shop but the salesperson was very helpful and friendly and I felt immediately comfortable.

Noni

I love this shop they have the best selection of soaps and I really can't resist soap. One of my granddaughters shares my love and I had to stop and pick her up a Christmas present. 
We don't really have a favorite spot for lunch we just chose one of the many restaurants in the downtown area. This time we chose The Lost Parrot. The food was good, nothing exceptional and the service was a bit lacking due to crowds of people and not enough waiters. We enjoyed it none the less. 
We did stop for an ice cream at Scoops on 5th which is across the street from Donnelly Park and offers Hershey ice cream and some wonderful looking baked goods. It was a nice respite from the heat. 

If you are looking for an adorable town with great shopping, you will enjoy Mount Dora. Lots of artists co-ops are located all over town and you will have lots of selections of local artists to choose from. 







No comments:

Post a Comment