Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Cruise Port Review: Santo Tomas de Castillo, Guatemala

I am not even sure where to begin to describe this cruise port. Let me see!  Ugly. Worthless. Smelly. Forgettable. Worst ever. I am running out of adjectives.  I think you get my message. Actually, I should have gotten the message when I saw the options for excursions and the reviews of said excursions. The private excursions company that my cruise consolidator hooked me up with didn't even offer any. 

When you looked at the port, it is a port, an active port with containers, trucks and stinky fumes. Just what every cruiser is hoping for. 

Now in the distance, you can see some mountains and lots of greenery. But the only thing you can do at this port in the beating sun is to visit a metal building which houses local craftspeople. I am not someone who enjoys haggling and I refuse to be overcharged, a bad combination in this part of the world. 


We opted to stay on board. We did climb to the uppermost level of the ship to get what views were available to us but had we not stopped here, it would have not been any sort of loss in my opinion. 

I am still pretty stunned that they even took us here, Santo Tomas de Castillo, Guatemala has nothing whatsoever to recommend itself to tourists. 



No comments:

Post a Comment